CNET is available in the following editions:
Read our full review
Add your review
Comment: Superb product exudes quality, if it performs as good as looks and feels It will be amazing
Good: screen, battery, speed
Bad: confusing at first use
Comment: I moved from my nexus 4 after Deciding the nexus 5 just wasn't anything special. And boy am I glad, this phone is beautiful to look at and hold.it's smooth processing power and speedy Internet browsing make my tech heart feel warm inside. The 4G with Vodafone give me speeds of 40mb/s in Manchester so . Never have to wait long on any download.
The battery life indicator is very specific all the way to 1 percent which is wierd at first but is very useful.unlike Samsung phones which say battery life is full until 50 percent then suddenly drops to red.
With the app juice defender plus running I get two days of use with no issues. And i use my phone alot.
The camera is just an extra to me so won't say much on that. But the screen is beautiful and colorful.
All around you won't be disappointed by this phone!
Bad: poor reliability
Comment: I will get the bad bit out of the way quickly, the phone is being sold as a durable phone. This is not the case, the screen is very very weak and if you look up on the net when the phone gets warm from use the screen will crack by itself. Sony refuse to look and ask for a bill of £280 saying users have damaged it. When the screen cracks the phone cannot be used and the touch does not work rendering the useless.
Good: Water Proof
Bad: Very poor reliability
Comment: I will get the bad bit out of the way quickly, the phone is being sold as a durable phone. This is not the case, the screen is very very weak and if you look up on the net when the phone gets warm from use the screen will crack by itself. Sony refuse to look and ask for a bill of £280 saying users have damaged it. When the screen cracks the phone cannot be used and the touch does not work rendering the useless.The good is it look nice and waterproof. Sound quality is great on third party era phones the ones supplied are very quiet.
Bad: ummmm...not found yet
Comment: I have got a Samsung grand. I want z1 but I got my grand just 4-5 months ago.... :-I my parents wont agree now to buy a new phone....Perhaps I will wait for more 6 months or till next Diwali and sell my grand .... and most probably by the latest version of these z series
Sony go for it create a far better phone than z1... perhaps with a longer battery....
Good: TI IS SO LOVELY
Comment: ANY ONE LIKES IT
Good: speed, battery life to name a few
Bad: pretty much nothing.
Comment: Owned many iPhones and got a little bored with them, so switched to s3 and s4. Loved the change and have just bought z1. First thing I noticed is this thing is blazingly fast. Second thing that has stood out is the great battery life. Far more impressive then my gs4 and wife's iPhone 5s. Has a great feel to it and the Ui works great. Camera is fantastic too. Got my vote on this one.
Good: Design and Speed and Everything
Bad: Handling of SD card with occasional ejects detected perhaps my phone only
Comment: Why is it that Xperia Z1 is being called the best phone in the market?
Some deep insights here which others might not have mentioned but make the life so easy with this phone:
1. Speed and fluid operation. The Sony version of UI on top of JellyBeans is just amazing. They have taken care of small things and made it smooth and operationally very nice.Sony's refined UI is much much easy to use then any other Andriod brands and is at par with iOS7.
2. Multi tasking: It has been annoying for me using Samsung S4 that for moving between running apps you have to click the home button for 2 seconds to get the multi task screen and then choose the required app. With Xperia Z1 its a breeze as they have given a dedicated multi tasking button to switch between apps without slight delay.
3. Internet speed: You will see that this phone is fast in connecting and speed. On 3G as well (dont have 4G) you can keep S4 / iPhone 5s side by side and this piece of art will load pages quicker.
4. Excellent Screen: its is actually 1080p resolution but icons dont feel like tiny or squeezed like Motorola. The quality of the screen is so clear that it feels popping out when playing videos and games. The Screen brightness is also very high. Sony's XReality makes the movies and pictures sharp but please note when you look at some pictures taken from the camera on the phone with Xreality turned on you might think they are too noisy remember its only this XReality engine adding extra pixels to your images. :)
5. Music Player: The phone offers Sony's propriety walkman chip that makes the music sound so well you wont believe it. Why because of these: Clear Audio that stops the merging of left and right sounds from interfering hence making the stereo experience beyond par. Clear Bass makes songs sound with a real thump without making the rest of the sounds submerged unlike S4 where when you choose Bass heavy and the rest of the song dies except the base. iPhone's equaliser is rarely used as its just a gimmick by the way. Surround Sound (VPT) this takes Sony apart from all others as the Surround they provide is authentic and makes your listening experience especially in public very comforting exclusively giving you the outside noise reduction that you need even with normal headphones. CLEAR Audio makes the music sound much more clear and with more thump with one click similar to S4's Audio tuner that takes some time to tune the phone for your headphones.
6. Small Apps: Ah the small apps are Sony's new innovation which just works perfectly. These are small apps that can run on top of any other app. So if you need a calculates, camera, browser, a mirror, currency calculator, unit converter, speed camera, sound meter, magnifying glass, screen shot, notes or any other app you can add it to Small apps and it works better then multi screen from Samsung.
7. Camera: Ah you thought i missed the camera :) well currently its the best in pixels i.e 21megapixels. Its fast as you can take the photo from phone being locked in 2 seconds by pressing the dedicated camera key and in two seconds your phone will take the photo and still keep itself locked. The camera is very high res and captures more light then any other camera phone in the market. I cant say its the best but it is comparable and takes very very detailed photos due to its image sensor. A few things to note:
- TimeShift Photos: This is perhaps the best feature when capturing those unexpected moments as the camera takes 30 pictures before and after you have pressed the camera button. Yes before and after and yes 60 frames in just one second and not only that it then collate them all save them separate images with the choose image appearing in your gallery but also creates an animated picture combining all of them. Sweep Panorama has been the best with Sony and it still is. 1080p video recording is even better with stereo sound and anti shake (LG G2 anti shake is optical and is better then any other by the way).
- AR Effect is a virtual environment that is imposed on your reality and you can move the camera around to take a photo with animated objects and scenery. fun for kids...
- Very important is that camera picks up the face tone correctly which this camera does very well and i mean both the front and back cameras.
- Camera Album: Well this is simple the best and Apple has apparently copied that as well where you pinch and zoom out to the whole library with tiny thumbs appearing or you can pinch in to view larger groups then a couple to one photo. Its all fluid and phone does it even if like me you have more then a thousand photos on 20mega pixels saved all over the place including many HD movies.
8. Battery with Stamina mode: It just simple makes your phone's battery double. Simplez! but using the Easy Battery Manager makes it even longer with moderate usage I can squeeze two full days now :)
9. The whole feel of the phone: The glass quality is premium with the right weight you feel like using a premium device that attracts others with its looks and crystal clear design. Its fully water proof you I use it in my shower and bath tub to watch Cnet while relaxing there. :) I can swap memory cards on the go especially when travelling I have one memory card full of movies. No need to turn the phone off and take the battery out like S4.
There are many things like creation folders with dragging apps, having customised app drawer, uninstalling apps like iOS with one click or search apps or just listing only most used apps in the app drawer. You can even create folders in App Drawer. The music player appear on the lock screen to control the music easily. All headphones with a volume button can be used to skips tracks. The TV remote function to control your TV or stream anything on your phone to a smart TV. The ability to have all your internal memory for Apps and not limited to a mere 1 or 2 GB. It never ever slows down I have filled mine with apps to the full and no issues at all.
I must say the camera needs a bit more work as it produces a different algorithm that creates noise yes you get the sharpness but when you zoom in 100% you can see the noise it has always been Sony's issue. But when you see the photo on a 1080p HD screen they look very sharp as the actual resolution is 3936x5248 in 16:9 view. That is very high res and you will notice those far far away flying birds on the horizon are not visible on screen and when you zoom in you see those tiny details. Now that is excellent and what a product by Sony!!!
Good: HD screen and high quality camera
Comment: I've tried out my brother's Sony Xperia Z1 phone and I loved using it. The picture quality is amazing and photographs come out like you would expect from a digital camera. I would suggest to anyone that they try out the phone themselves first, whether that's through a friend or family member already owning it or trying it out in store or attending a gadget event like The Gadget Show Live http://www.gadgetshowlive.net/page.cfm/Link=1/t=m/goSection=1 I know Sony will be bringing the phone for people to try out there so could be a good opportunity for you to try it out yourself. Overall though, I am a big fan of this phone!
Good: Cameraaa,Clarityy ,Soundd...Everything Dude
Bad: You better find out
Comment: Please, first of all stop complaining about Xperia Z1 battery power All are false accusations!! Xperia Z1 has the best potential to beat the much hyped SAMSUUNG products After using Xperia Arc S i was in love with the touch screen mobiles and it's camera too.
But, here came the Monster Z1 with 20.7 MEGA PIXELS CAMERA.
DAMN YOU!! NO ONE CAN BEAT THAT WITH IT'S EYE POPPING CLARITY.CRISP DISPLAY NOT EVEN THE NOKIA 40MP CAMERA.
Buy it,Use it and Love it...That's all i can say
Log in with your CNET UK or Facebook account to post a user review, or click Join to create an account
Please log in, register or login with Facebook to add a review or comment
Ask your Facebook friends and Twitter followers if you should buy the Sony Xperia Z1
Find a deal
More Mobile Phones in Crave
About CBS Interactive
Copyright © 2013 CBS Interactive Limited. All rights reserved.