CNET is available in the following editions:
Read our full review
Add your review
Good: i like the application i can composed my own music using application there are so many feautures to use if try to view all
Bad: nothing else i can complain.... for me its very cool
Comment: make it more higher profile.... upgrade more
Good: thin and super convinience to use i can open my facebook using this phone..and a super clean photo shot
Bad: it will shotdown when low battery and a takes a minute to open
Comment: it so cool to hve this phone... when i have a call i can have my video call using 3G very cool.. im so proud to have this and it will last for a year.... even i dropped on the floor still alive ahahaahh .... unlike touch screen when you dropped ,,,, your money was pop.....
Good: the memory
Bad: switches itself off all the time n takes ages to come back on
Comment: if it wasnt for the fact that it switches itself off even when you in the middle of a call this fone would be great, ive had it for a couple of yrs now and its really getting on my nerves
Good: Good MP3 player, the basic functions you would expect of any mid-range phone
Bad: Poor software means everything runs slowly, relentlessly switches itself off and on,
Comment: After having this for a 2 year contract I'm seriously annoyed with it's lackluster performance. At the time of buying, I had noted in others reviews that this phone is liable to take on a mind of it's own and will turn itself on and off again and I ignored those comments at my peril. A phone is useless if you can't control it as and when you want as it turns itself off and on again virtually everyday of it's life. As such, this phone is uselss and not even eligible for any software updates, and I'm assuming it's the software that is at fault here.
This fault aside, the software is clearly not up to scratch, as any task undertaken on it's own (without any other features running) causes the phone to slow up. It's like internet in the '90's. Just dont bother with it.
I can get Â£8 if I recycle it. Alternatively, I can vent 2 years frustration by relentlessly kicking it and smashing it into tiny, little, even more useless pieces. I'm currently inclined toward the latter.
Comment: This has been the worst piece to technology I have come across.It kept switching itself off, dropped calls in good signal areas, the camera refused to work when asked and would switch itself on in your pocket with the keys locked, I couldn't get my music library on iTunes to work as it wouldn't work with my iMac, so I had to resort to using Bluetooth as if I used a card reader and export to the card, the phone refused to open any files, what a pain. Also it kept locking up so I tried to install the firmware update, but all that did was for it to lock up and refused to switch off and I had to remove the battery and after that it took an age to boot up again and it still wouldn't work properly and I had a repeat of the above !! I Plus points - the menus were quite good when it worked. I have a W810i and I don't rate that much either, but at least it doesn't crash as often. Summary - simply awful.
Good: ALL STYLE AND SUBSTANCE
Comment: This is by far the best phone ever and should be listed as #1. Actually, this is my 25th phone in 11 years time, so I know what a good phone is.
It NEVER crashes, very fast and smooth, a complete package, extra fast Bluetooth (up to 120k/s!!!), extra light but extra tough: it's like you're holding a rock, but it's not there... and perfect audio quality (better than my 5.5G iPod but not my 2G Touch)
Good: Perfect Size & Style.Spectacular call quality, music quality
Bad: max loudspeaker volume low,proprietary headjack,no autofocus
It supports wav,midi,mp3,m4a,wma,real audio,aac,eaac.
Video recording is done at 30fps and format is mp4.Video quality is very good if there is light.It supports mp4,3gpp.Video parameters while encoding are mp4(xvid codec),320x240(size),256kbps(video bitrate),128kbs(audio bitrate),30fps(video framerate),44100(sample rate),A/V sync-basic(important).
Good: Perfect Size & Style.Spectacular call quality, music quality .
The camera is spectacular in daylight(if you are still and image is in focus).SE should have put in atleast autofocus.
I cant understand why SE doesnt put a 3.5mm socket.
With a autofocus and 3.5mm it becomes near perfect.
Good: Good reception, good music playback, good looks
Bad: Pricey, tiny controls, lack of 3.5mm port, media player software issues
Comment: It's a decent phone with good reception.
The media player is a mixed blessing.
Sure, it plays music and audiobooks and it sounds fine but ...
1. The controls are still too SMALL and NOT that user friendly. Fastforward/Reverse dials are Too small so it's easy to skip a file and it scrolls to fast forward/backwards!! Also, goto comment 4.
2. Media Manager software STINKS! Have NOT been able to install or use it so just drag n drop files onto media card
3. Without a playlist, the media player has LOTS of problems playing the files; creating a playlist IN the phone is a reall PAIN esp. if you have to categorize >1 song; imagine Manually ADDING 400 files into a playlist on the phone?!
- Must create playlist beforehand with song files in folders before transfer or else it'll be a problem playing those files! What a PAIN!!!
4. Media player settings do NOT allow songs to "remember playback position". This is especially frustrating when listening to audiobooks!! Imagine listening to an audiobook near the end, a phone call comes in, media player stops, later after the call, resume audiobook playback. The file starts at the Beginning instead of resuming where it left off before the call! Damn frustrating!
- Also, drag n drop transfer time is LONG! For >400 files, tookk ~45-60 minutes!! It's ridiculous as iTunes can transfer similar amount of files to iPod much quicker!!
5. SE insists using their proprietary port. Adding insult to injury, it's located on the side not bottom of the phone! Too many people have already commented elsewhere about this problem!! Don't get me started with this!!!
7. Tech support is not very good! Standard, preset email responses and terrible spellers. Reps should check their spelling before replying!
8. May have issues if phones are bought (i.e. imported) into countries that do not carry SE phones (i.e North America is NOT a primary market for SE phones so a majority of the phones are Imported).
9. Control settings are standard across SE phones, mostly, but some settings are confusing and hidden under Sub-menus!!
10. Where's Wifi?!
11. Camera should NOT be included since it lacks autofocus and flash! Only meant for daytime shots! Could've used the room for better controls or something!
1. Good reception
2. Music quality playback is good
3. Accepts BST-40 battery, not just BST-33, which has a higher charge capacity so it'll increase the usage time! Woo Hoo!
Log in with your CNET UK or Facebook account to post a user review, or click Join to create an account
Please log in, register or login with Facebook to add a review or comment
Ask your Facebook friends and Twitter followers if you should buy the Sony Ericsson W890i
More Mobile Phones in Crave
About CBS Interactive
Copyright © 2014 CBS Interactive Limited. All rights reserved.