CNET is available in the following editions:
Read our full review
Add your review
Good: Excellent camera.
Bad: It's extremely difficult to customise and change settings.
Comment: I bought this phone as a way of easing myself into the touch screen mobile phone world. For certain things, such as taking pictures (the night mode and candle light settings have proven very useful) and writing notes to myself, it's brilliant. Unfortunately, the positives far outweigh the negatives. My main complaints with the Galaxy Y are as follows:
1. There doesn't seem to be a way of deleting old or obsolete wi-fi networks.
2. The internal memory is pitifully small and doesn't seem to have an option to move the application's preferences to the SD card, which means that having an application that uses a lot of memory (such as one for a social media website) is impossible. Also, because it has such an old operating system, there isn't a way to run some of the newer social media applications without rooting the phone and completely voiding any warranty.
3. As far as I can tell, the only way to fully close an application is to go into the Task Manager. I wish there were a way to exit applications from inside the programmes themselves.
4. The reception is terrible and sometimes cuts out, especially in my house. I'm not sure if this is something to do with the mobile phone network (or perhaps my house is a dead zone) or if it's the phone itself. I haven't done a formal test to be sure.
5. If you're on pay-as-you-go, the phone will eat up all of your credit because the mobile internet is switched on by default. You have to go into a hidden setting to switch it off, which I find infuriating.
6. The phone makes a really loud buzzing sound when you switch it off. Even worse, if it's not in silent mode, a loud chime plays when it's switched off.
7. There's no way to have a separate ring-tones to distinguish between answer-phone messages and text messages. Every other phone I've had could do this, even my flip phones.
Bad: Poor Service & Support
Comment: Samsung Phones might be good. But the service part of it is very bad some times
1. Samsung Mobile Service centres do not provide Chip level service!!!
2. They Deliver the product without verifying if the problem is fixed
3. They collect money for the service even if it has not resolved your issue and not ready to refund
I had bought a Galaxy Y Duos mobile from Flipkart.com.
It started giving problem just after 1.5 years.
First the memory card got corrupted. I replaced the card.
After a few days the battery started draining very fast. May be after an automatic software update from Samsung.
The battery was becoming 0% from 100% in 8-10 in idle mode.
I did factory reset - no use.
I Bought a new battery - no use.
Gave in Samsung Authorized service centre - Telnet Services, Koramangala, Bangalore. They updated software and declared as problem solved and took money from me. I had asked them twice whether they have verified it. They told yes.
When I checked the issue was still existing.
Gave it back to the service centre. Then they told that they have to change the complete board since they can not spot the problem in the board and repair(what kind of experts are working there!). That will almost costs same amount of a new cell phone with same spec!!.
So I took back the phone.
I asked for the refund of the money I paid for the software update which was useless and they didn't pay saying that it is labor charge.
How nice ! For doing some useless service too Samsung take money from customers.
The only service the technicians know is update software,replace mother board or replace display.
So if you get any hardware issue after the warranty period better go to a local service centre or buy a new phone.
Good: good price nice browser
Comment: i used this phone as a school phone and i used it for alot of things and it served well
Good: Good Features Smart Phone in Cheap Price
Bad: Hangs, very small internal memory, battery backup get down shortly while using internet
Comment: I had this phone for quite a few time now and there is no problem with it so far but what bugs me battery backup get down shortly while using internet especially skype & facebook also hangs. Very small internal memory. But compare to other best brand mobiles it has Good Features Smart Phone in Cheap Price. In Samsung this the lowest and price smart phone.
Good: Price, battery life, performance
Bad: Camera and SCREEN SIZE
Comment: This phone is OKAY, if your a new Galxy phone user then this phone maybe good for you, but if you are more of a person who likes to play games and take pictures then this phone is not for you.
Overall i think this phone is not half bad, i am satisfied yet not 100% hence i am getting a new phone very soon.
Good: Cheap, reliable, battery.
Bad: Display, internal memory.
Comment: I do not regret buying it.
Good: Wifi, Internet, 3G and cheap
Bad: Internal Memory
Comment: Galaxy Y has a good performance compare to Galaxy Mini, but the problem is its internal memory!
Bad: bad camera
Comment: this is one of the best products i have ever used
perfect for kids because of the display.
Good: strong built body
Bad: small screen,poor display and lower memory
Comment: Should have average memory capcity.Should have bigger size in screen and should be much more bight display . it doesnt make any sense to buy because it is cheaper
Good: The Android Version(Gingerbread), Features, and the ease to use.
Bad: Camera is not that good, and the screen is pretty small too.
Comment: I had this phone for quite a few time now and there is no problem with it so far but what bugs me is the camera which is only 2MP and the screen size which is 3" screen which sure is pretty small yet the looks and the design is pretty good and it has good features yet because of the screen you can't download curtain apps and games yet there are no regrets about this phone.
Log in with your CNET UK or Facebook account to post a user review, or click Join to create an account
Please log in, register or login with Facebook to add a review or comment
Ask your Facebook friends and Twitter followers if you should buy the Samsung Galaxy Y
More Mobile Phones in Crave
About CBS Interactive
Copyright © 2013 CBS Interactive Limited. All rights reserved.