CNET is available in the following editions:
Read our full review
Add your review
Good: brilliant interface and screen
Good: intergrated social network,beeb player,search engine etc
Bad: a bit slow.
Comment: I love this phone like crazy even though is a bit slow.I hardly spend any time on my laptop. fantastic browser.never miss any program on bbc.use the phone to control my pc with Gemote.
you can watch bbc channels on the move on 3G which I love so much and instant email alert too.
Well done HTC.
Good: Its like a mini laptop.
Bad: getting the sync working on a PC (Working now).
Comment: Even better afer the update from the HTC website. (Orange cm).
Good: the UI and the screen
Bad: the feel and physical design and the camera:((((- oh and the music player is avg
Comment: I really,really wanted to like this- having waited ages and read so many reviews. When it came out I spent ages trying it and used a colleague's for a while.
The UI is good and I like being able to configure it. The screen also looks look (except outdoors when it's bright).
However, after using it I realized that is not the phone for me:
1) the back button (which I used a fair bit) is in the wrong position for right handed people. I almost ended up getting cramp in my thumb holding the Hero in my right hand:((
2) The camera says it is 5mp but the picture quality is worse than the 3.2mp camera I had on my last camera and it seems slow.
3) Adding entries in the calendar is a pain- even for a short entry you have to scroll down to get to the button to accept the entry (and it doesn't even have a week view!).
4) I was disappointed by the music quality (maybe that's because I had a Walkman phone before- though at least this does use a 3.5mm socket!).
5) I was hoping that this would be a more powerful business smartphone and to be able to view and edit word, excel and powerpoint - unfortunately not. (Though I'm sure it won;t be long before third party options are available. I had a look at the Google app store but was rather underwhelmed- having looked at the iPhone's app store).
6) I was hoping that as this was Google's OS that the calendar would sync with my Gmail calendar- but no:( (I can access my gmail calendar through the browser but I want to be able to work 'offline' as well. Same with the tasks).
6) It just didn't feel comfortable to use I couldn't get on with the feel of the trackball- unlike the blackberry ones and the squarish shape won't win many design awards).
Oh well, at least there are plenty of new phones coming along!
Good: Everything - it is every bit as good as my Diamond was bad!
Good: 5 Live home screens!
Comment: I really really like this phone. The new software update released 12th September makes the phone run super smooth no more jerky flicking across the home screens. I thought long and hard over this or the iphone (I own a ipod touch) but you can get some great deals £25 month for 18 months and free phone this is a BARGAIN if your like me and love gadgets this is a brilliant phone get one!
Bad: lack of internal memory, slight sluggishnes
Comment: Believe the hype! awsome phone once rooted
Good: the style
Bad: Its not the iphone
Comment: This just does not really compete with the iphone. I have had iphone for about 4 months and this will never compare. Think what HTC are cometing against - the iphone 3gs/3g. Once you try the iphone you never go back - and this is someone who was a PC believer. Iphone is brilliant just try and have one for a day.
Good: Great look and feel.
Comment: Simply brilliant!
Good: Futuristic looks, responsive screen, good phone book with facebook and twitter integration, multitouch, fantastic apps, good web browser, customisation, live widgets, push email and notifications, good keyboard, trackball, intuitive interface, excellent battery and the ability to download any applications (like symbian apps)
Bad: Jitteryness, hesitation, widgets occasionally freeze (although HTC has promised to release firmware to solve these issues), poor camera.
Comment: I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed. It is incredibly good, but is it quite as good as the iPhone? In many ways it is more advanced, but often I do miss many of the pleasures the iPhone has like super fast interface and internet, big screen, huge variety of applications, not to mention the year's free internet anywhere offered by O2. The Hero does have problems even when scrolling down lists as few as 10 entries. I would probably recommend the iPhone over the Hero; nevertheless the Hero is still very good.
Log in with your CNET UK or Facebook account to post a user review, or click Join to create an account
Please log in, register or login with Facebook to add a review or comment
Ask your Facebook friends and Twitter followers if you should buy the HTC Hero
Find a deal
More Software in Crave
About CBS Interactive
Copyright © 2014 CBS Interactive Limited. All rights reserved.