CNET is available in the following editions:
Read our full review
Add your review
Good: The thin, sexy exterior, great low-light and outdoors shots, excellent picture clarity and the fact you’re crowded by people when you whip the camera
Bad: Relatively short battery life - could be better, prone to tiny scratches on the lens cover, and awkward general handling of the camera
Comment: An excellent camera for the discerning photographer and grabs attention everywhere you go! You'll be the object of lust of all your friends, but try to keep a steady hand while snapping those shots.
Overall, one superb camera that is suitable for any occasion, which is generally user friendly apart from the small quirks. If you want to attract friendly attention and compliments all day long then buy this camera, especially if you’re strutting about taking great snaps!
Good: Size, Style and Convenience
Bad: Not much!
Comment: A lot of reviews state the image quality, particularly in low light is very bad. I woud have to totally disagree with such a comment. I bought this camera along with a Nikon D70s Digital SLR and Tamron 300mm lens which cost £800. One is for serious picture taking and the other is to go to clubs, pubs, bars, BBQs, nights out, parties and generally anywhere that an enormous digital SLR would be considered thoroughly inappropriate.
On the subject of normal shooting conditions, the quality is astonishing for the size of this thing. I took a picture of my car, plugged the camera into my Canon IP4000 and printed a standard 6x4 glossy print. 99% of people would not know this didn't come from a 35mm film processor. The other 1% might notice the Canon logo on the back of the photo.
In low light, well, show me a camera that loves low light. I have seen low light conditions make a Canon EOS 1D in the wrong hands look pitiful. And I make the point, 'in the wrong hands' because that's what it is all about. And I don't mean coming to terms with manual overide, though this helps. I read somewhere that great photographs are about being there to capture the moment with any camera not about owning the best camera in the world. If that is true, then this really is the camera that can be with you at any time... literally in a shirt or jeans pocket.
To those who naysay the quality I suggest you either do not know what you're doing or you simply expect too much from a lens and sensor of this size.
Good: Size, Style & Convenience
Bad: Nothing So Far!!
Comment: I bought this camera and a Nikon D70s Digital SLR at the same time. For every great review I read about the T7 there was a negative one complaining about the poor image quality. All I can think is that these people can't use this camera properly or expecting far to much from this beautiful electronic masterpiece. And make no mistake, this is a fantastically constructed piece of kit. The image quality in normal shooting conditions for something this size is astonishing. Of course low light conditions are not as good, but I have seen Canon EOS 1Ds take incredibly bad low light shots. It's all a question of who is doing the shooting and making the most of the conditions you are in. My personal feeling is this... if you want a camera that will go clubbing, partying, BBQs and generally anywhere then this is the camera.
I cannot remember where I read it online but somebody made the point that the best photographs are taken opportunistically. When you are the only person there with a camera, and it really doesn't matter what the camera is, it's about catching the moment. If that is true, then this camera is the one that can be there at that moment.
The first picture I took was of my car. I plugged the camera straight into my Canon IP4000 and printed a 6x4 glossy print, with no pre-proccessing in Photoshop. The print was spot on, and could quite easily have been slipped into a set of 35mm pictures from Boots and 99% of viewers would never have noticed.
My advice... BUY IT... it's great.
Log in with your CNET UK or Facebook account to post a user review, or click Join to create an account
Please log in, register or login with Facebook to add a review or comment
Ask your Facebook friends and Twitter followers if you should buy the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T7
More Laptops in Crave
About CBS Interactive
Copyright © 2014 CBS Interactive Limited. All rights reserved.