CNET is available in the following editions:
Read our full review
Add your review
Good: Image quality is excellent, screen is great
Bad: Slow, awkward, many essential features don't work together
Comment: I was really looking forward to the G1 X, but it's actually quite poor in real world use:
- it's very sluggish; continually have to wait for the camera!
- the menu system for choosing and setting options is quite fiddly
- exposure bracketing doesn't work with most modes and gives 3 identical exposures which is completely useless
- exposure metering is poor; the best I can manage with this camera is taking a shot, checking histogram, applying compensation, then taking it again hoping that it meters the same as last time!
- image stabiliser isn't as good as I expect from Canon
- f/2.8 is only at absolute widest focal length, it drops off much quicker than expected; for this category of camera they should have made a faster lens
- minimum focusing distance without turning on macro isn't close enough, as in it's so far away I couldn't even take a head & shoulders portrait in one situation!
- the focus assist light can be a bit annoying for subjects
- several combinations of options don't work together and it takes ages going back through the whole menu system to change them all to things which then merely add up to the best compromise
- some modes (including Av) don't allow exposure times of over 1 second
- with so many problems, I was hoping there would be a firmware update, but so far there's no sign of such
It's not all negative, there are some good points:
+ image quality is excellent
+ ISO handling is excellent
+ screen is excellent
+ focuses relatively easily in low light
+ exposure compensation dial is very useful and well placed
Also: The first G1 X we had died after a week, so it got replaced with another new one and this one has lasted longer without any critical issues.
I'm very happy with all my other Canon kit; this is the first Canon camera which I suggest avoiding!
Comment: Awesome clarity..............
Log in with your CNET UK or Facebook account to post a user review, or click Join to create an account
Please log in, register or login with Facebook to add a review or comment
Ask your Facebook friends and Twitter followers if you should buy the Canon PowerShot G1 X
More Digital Cameras in Crave
About CBS Interactive
Copyright © 2013 CBS Interactive Limited. All rights reserved.